It’s no secret that we live in a sex filled society. It seems like everyone is doing it…especially if you are not. Movies and sitcoms applaud the casual hook-up and leave us with a culture that doesn’t value waiting.
“Hardly anyone on TV or in the movies pays a price for illicit sex. But in real life, people often pay dearly … Sex without marriage so often leads to self-doubts, diseases, unwanted pregnancies, shattered emotions, manipulation, and exploitation.”(1)
Despite the sex hype from the media, not everyone is having sex. The following statistics might surprise you.
“Less than half of teens in high school (only 42% of girls and 43% of boys) have had sex” (2).
68% said they "could be happy in a serious relationship that doesn’t include sex" (2).
85% of guys ages 15-18 say they have "more respect for girls who stop a hook-up if they aren’t ready or comfortable" (2).
Saving sexual activity until marriage might seem impossible, but here are some physical and emotional advantages to waiting.
- Avoid an unplanned pregnancy
- Currently, about half (51%) of the 6.6 million pregnancies in the United States each year (3.4 million) are unplanned (3).
- By age 45, more than half of all American women will have experienced an unplanned pregnancy, and three in 10 will have had an abortion (3).
- Avoid a life altering STDs
- Center for Disease Control estimates that nearly 20 million new sexually transmitted infections occur every year in this country, half among young people ages 15–24 (4).
- Both young men and young women are heavily affected by STDs — but young women face the most serious long-term health consequences. It is estimated that undiagnosed STDs cause 24,000 women to become infertile each year (4).
- Avoid unnecessary heartbreak and regret
- Sex with the wrong person can accompany a load of regret, and breaking up when you've had sex together can be a terrible tearing experience emotionally, sometime prolonging volatile and abusive relationships. .
- Increase your chance of a happy, lasting marriage
- In the U.S., the chance of couples splitting up is five times higher if they live together before marriage than couples who wait until they are married (5).
- Waiting to have sex until you are married means no comparing or jealousy about the past. There will be plenty of things to argue about, give yourself a married head start and eliminate this one!
- Only one first time
- Once you give up your virginity, you never get it back. You will remember the first time whether it was a good experience or bad. Don’t you want it to be with the person who promises to love, cherish and protect you for a lifetime?
If you are at a point in your life where you are interested in making a commitment or a re-commitment to stay sexually pure until marriage, Hope Pregnancy Center is here to support you in that decision. Don’t hesitate to contact us if you need more information about what it looks like to be sexually pure!
- Josh McDowell, Why True Love Waits (Tyndale, 2002), 129, 133.
- Stay Teen, Waiting, http://stayteen.org/waiting.
- Guttmacher Institute, Fact Sheet Unintended Pregnancies in the United States, (2013): http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/FB-Unintended-Pregnancy-US.html.
- Center for Disease Control & Prevention, Sexually Transmitted Diseases, (2012):
- Gerogina Binstock and A. Thornton, Separations, Reconciliations and Living Apart in Cohabiting and Marital Unions, Journal of Marriage and Family 65 (2003): 432-443.